Students will analyze Primary and Secondary Sources about the Alien Enemy Act and related acts and evaluate the Patterns of Continuity and Change over time. Students will learn about the Alien and Sedition Acts (During Adam's Presidency) while also learning about other controversial acts in the 20th and 21st Centuries. Students will compare the acts and see their similarities as well as their differences.
What is included?
1. Lesson Plan: Includes Objective, Big Idea and Implementation Sequence.
2. Anticipatory Set Activity to Motivate and Engage the Learner (How much power should a government have?)
3. Timeline and Timeline Questions: To establish Context and review some important events (Jay's Treaty, XYZ Affair, French Quasi-War, The Alien Sedition Acts etc.)
4. Five Primary and Secondary Source Excerpts and 10 Comprehension questions (The Alien Enemy Act,
Details about the Act, WWII Executive Order 9066, The Patriot Act, and The Travel Ban Executive order).
5. Annotation and Question Guide- One is for English Language Learners and the Second One provided is for your Accelerated/ GATE Students. These off 15/10 (respectively) questions and tasks students will consider (and write on lined paper) for each document.
6. Historical Skills Handout on how to Examine Patterns of Continuity and Change over time. This offers 15 additional questions for students to consider when they evaluate Primary and Secondary Sources.
Click the image below to get the lesson!